Clocktree was designed specifically for healthcare providers, with privacy and security of client data being a vital foundation of our platform.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a federal law passed in 1996 which requires secure handling of an individual’s health information (PHI). The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, passed in 2009 and revised in 2013, provides a national standard for health information technology and strengthened the privacy and security protections spelled out in the original HIPAA laws. This act extends HIPAA security obligations to business associates. If you are a healthcare provider who uses Clocktree to manage client data, Clocktree is considered a business associate. Clocktree will extend a Business Associate Agreement (BAA), with your practice as the covered entity.
In accordance with HIPAA and HITECH laws, we have implemented the following physical, technical and administrative safeguards to ensure privacy and security of your clients’ data.
- All data is encrypted in transit and at rest
- HTTPS and AES 256 bit encryption**
- Servers include automatic data backup
- Every user has their own username and password with no support for shared logins
- Accounts are automatically logged out after 30 minutes of inactivity
- Infrastructure is behind a firewall and accessible by limited Clocktree staff
- Clocktree staff have undergone HIPAA compliance training and certification
- Clocktree has Business Associate Agreements in place with all 3rd party providers
- Unless permission is granted, no PHI is included in communications outside the Clocktree platform
- Restricted Clocktree staff access to PHI
- On site HIPAA Compliance Officer
- BAA available to all registered Clocktree practices
We take client privacy and security seriously at Clocktree and do everything we can to ensure HIPAA compliance. Please check with your legal counsel if you have specific questions regarding your practice’s compliance with HIPAA regulations.
**Some technical implementation details may change in the future.
Choose a Payment Processor
To use the client billing feature in Clocktree, you will first need to establish an account with one of these supported payment processors.
Please research and choose the payment processor that is right for your practice. Clocktree will not add additional processing fees, but will serve as a convenient conduit for invoicing and billing your clients from your Clocktree account.
Please note: To use Stripe you must check ‘enable unsafe processing’ in your Stripe account. Clocktree secures your clients’ credit cards information in the same way we protect all HIPAA data
Add payment processor to Clocktree account
This requires Admin authority on your Clocktree account.
- Log in and switch to Admin role
- Click on Billing tab
- Click on Setup
- In the Payment Processors section, add a description (for internal use only)
- Select your payment processor from the Processor Type pulldown menu
- Complete the rest of the fields with the required info from your payment processor account
The final setup step on this page is to select your Sales Tax calculation requirements.
Enable the Client Billing service
Only Admins on your Clocktree practice can enable this service and assign billing capability to colleagues who will handle online billing for your practice.
- Log in and switch to your Admin role
- Click the Services tab
- Find the service called Client Billing and click the Edit Service button
- Click the Assign Providers line and check all colleagues who will create client invoices
- Click the Enable Service line and toggle the service to on/green
- Click Save
Any provider assigned to the Client Billing service can create an invoice. Your client will receive an alert, letting them know they have an invoice, but they will need to log into their Clocktree account to see the invoice and pay with their credit card.
- Log in to Clocktree and stay in your Provider role
- Click the Clients tab
- Click the client’s name to access their profile
- Click the Billing tab within their profile
- Click the Create Invoice button
- Enter a description, which the client will see, and the invoice amount
- Click Send Invoice
Admins can access a view of all invoices sent from the practice by clicking the Billing tab. Providers can access invoices sent to individual clients via the Clients tab. In both places, you can see the date, amount and status of an invoice.
To access the invoice, click on the dollar amount. You have the ability to refund a paid invoice. You can forgive, void, or record payment for an unpaid invoice.
If you have any questions or need assistance setting up Client Billing on your Clocktree account, our Customer Care team can help at firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-990-8935.
One of the benefits of Clocktree telehealth is that it’s portable! Providers and Clients can connect for a video appointment from just about anywhere using a mobile device. You can use Clocktree on both Android and iOS devices, but this blog post is specifically for iPhone and iPad users.
Use Safari Browser
There is no special software or app to download. Simply log into your Clocktree account via Safari browser, just like you would on a computer.
Add the Clocktree icon to your home screen
For quick access to your Clocktree account, you can add a Clocktree icon to your home screen. Here are steps to do this:
- Visit Clocktree.com using Safari
- Click the “Share” icon at the bottom of your browser (see below left)
- Click the “Add to Home Screen” icon (see below right)
- Click “Add”
No 3-party video calls
One limitation when using an iPhone or iPad for Clocktree telehealth sessions is that it doesn’t accomodate video calls with more than 2 people. For family or group sessions, it’s best to use a computer if you need to see all parties. But for standard sessions between two people, it’s a great alternative.
Use WiFi when possible
It’s important to get the strongest internet signal possible for a high quality Clocktree video call. Typically this means connecting your iPhone/iPad via WiFi instead of the 4G or LTE data signal.
Clocktree offers a HIPAA compliant, secure place for a practice to add notes to a client’s profile. There is a free-form notes field on every client profile, with the ability to assign different access levels for each note.
These profile notes are different than adding a note in the chat session of a video appointment, which are always visible to the client and can be accessed via the appointment history.
To add a client profile note, go to your Clients tab and click the client’s name. There you will see different sections for Info, Appointments, Messages, Notes and Documents. Click the Notes tab, then the +Add button.
Next select the type of note, depending on who should have access to that note.
Type your note and click Save. Saving a note to a client profile is permanent and the note cannot be edited or deleted, so please make sure you’ve selected the proper type of note before clicking Save.
Because these notes are a free-form field, they can be used for anything such as therapy session notes, insurance information, allergies, or medical history.
If you have questions about Client Profile Notes or anything else related to Clocktree, please give our Customer Care team a call at 302-990-8935 or email us at email@example.com. We’d love to hear from you!